These days, fewer and fewer dentists have the training, skill, or experience to use wire braces successfully, but they are an important option that has to be considered if you are looking for orthodontic treatment. If you want to talk to an Orange County dentist offering a full range of orthodontic options, please call (949) 551-5902 or email Rice Dentistry in Irvine today to schedule a consultation.
Benefits of Braces
Braces are an old technology, but they are not an outdated technology. We have seen many technologies developed about the same time—or after—braces be replaced, such as metal amalgam fillings and vulcanized dentures. But they continue to be used because they are an orthodontic treatment that offers many benefits.
- Power: Braces have the most “brute strength” of any orthodontic treatment out there. With brackets bonded to teeth and metal wires, they can apply more force to your teeth than other options.
- Control: They are a giant with a silk touch. Their brute strength doesn’t mean your teeth will be brutalized, though. Quite the opposite. While other orthodontic treatments can only apply force in discrete units, such as with each new aligner, braces can be used to apply force in smaller increments, as little or as much as necessary.
- Precision: The level of control allows us to make more precise tooth movements and continue to fine-tune your results until you’re happy with them. This is especially important if we are trying to adjust your bite as part of TMJ treatment. Getting good results from a bite treatment depends on achieving a precise relationship among your back teeth, something braces can accomplish best.
- Speed: With the power, control, and precision comes speed. There are certain limits to how fast we can move your teeth because of your body’s limitations, but within those limits they can often accomplish tooth movements faster. Six Month Smiles takes advantage of this to give great cosmetic results fast.
- Predictability: There are benefits to being the oldest orthodontic treatment out there: braces are also the most studied orthodontic treatment. As a result, we know just how your teeth will respond to treatment to a high degree of certainty.
- Flexibility: Braces can be used to perform almost any kind of tooth movement necessary. If teeth need to be tipped, rotated, or raised up, braces are your best option.
Put it all together, and there is, flat out, not another orthodontic treatment available that can match the things that braces can do.
Braces Aren’t the Only Option
Despite all their benefits, braces do have limitations in terms of comfort, care, and appearance, so it’s understandable that not everyone wants them if they don’t need them. That’s why we offer other options for certain cases.Invisalign is a comprehensive orthodontic treatment option. It can be used for most full orthodontic cases where there’s no bite problem that needs to be corrected.
Six Month Smiles, Inman Aligner, and Invisalign Express are treatments that can be used in a smaller number of cases where the concerns are mostly aesthetic and mostly involve the front teeth.